Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Mini Turkey Meatloaf....NOMNOMNOM

Since I was introduced to Pinterest by Leetle Seester a while back, it's been a time-sucking epidemic for me.

**PIN ALL THE THINGS!!!**

However, one thing that both Hubs and I have gained from Pinterest is the influx of new recipes I've been able to try. It's fun for me because I like to cook (and eat), and for Mike I'm pretty sure he feels like he gets to go to a new restaurant every day.

BUT let's move away from that point. Because I made my very own recipe without Pinterest's help the other day!

Who knew I had this kind of creativity. I am a genius in the kitchen.

No, not really. But I did manage to whip up a pretty darn delicious turkey meatloaf without much help from anyone. The best part of meatloaf (Which every Susie Cooker knows and I'm late to the party, I know) is that it gets rid of all the bits-and-pieces of things that are left over in the fridge after a week of grocery-shopping-procrastinating.

For instance. I chopped some onions and garlic, then decided to add 3/4 of a red bell pepper because it was languishing in the fridge and wasn't going to make it more than another day or two. Chop chop, into the pan with a little oil, salt and pepper.




I think what made mine so moist and rich in flavor was that I added a little "secret juice" to my meatloaf. I combined some worchestershire sauce, some ketchup, and some beef stock (to add a "beefy" flavor to the turkey) and added to the pan.







I let everything simmer together and get all flavor-y and happy, then I dumped it into a bowl and shoved it into the fridge to cool down a bit. If you add it to the meat when it's hot everything starts cooking.




Meanwhile I cracked a beer. It was one of those days. Have you midwesterners had this beer? It's my favorite.




After the veggie mix cooled down a bit, in went the rest of the ingredients: ground turkey, egg, bread crumbs.





Off came the wedding ring, in went the hands. Just get in there and squish!




If I had made one big loaf I probably would have cooked this baby for about 45 min in the oven. But I'm impatient. So I made two smaller ones. I bet you could also made 4 individual sized ones which would cook even faster!

On top of the loaves I dabbed on some ketchup and some barbecue sauce. I bet you could just stick with ketchup, but Hubs loves him some BBQ so I thought I'd jazz it up a bit. You could probably also throw it into the loaf mix itself.






Into the oven! 375 degrees for about 30 minutes, with an extra dabbins of BBQ halfway through for good measure.


Waiting for things to cook in the oven is the worst. I want my noms NOW!

They looked and smelled amazing out of the oven!!!



I served the meatloaf with some roasted zucchini spears that I tossed with parmesan cheese. Also super easy. This meal was also low-carb!


Dabbed some extra BBQ on at the end for the extra zing. There were no leftovers. Hubs and I consumed a pound of meatloaf in one sitting. 


Ingredients:
  • 1 pound ground turkey
  • 1 egg
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs (plain or italian)
  • 1/2 medium onion, finely chopped
  • OPTIONAL: other veggies (mushrooms, carrots, celery, pepper), chopped to same size)
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 tbsp ketchup
  • 2 tbsp Worchestershire sauce
  • 1/3 cup beef or chicken stock
  • OPTIONAL: Barbecue sauce of your choice
  1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
  2. In a pan, add a little olive oil and saute the onions, vegetables, and garlic for about 2 min, until soft. Add salt and pepper for a little seasoning. *If you use carrots this will take a little longer*
  3. Add 2 of the 4 tbsp ketchup, Worchestershire sauce, and stock to pan. stir and let simmer for about 5 min, until it has reduced slightly.
  4. Pour contents of pan into a large mixing bowl and allow to cool. *this doesn't mean until it's cold, just not boiling hot. I stuck the bowl in the fridge for about 5-10 minutes*
  5. Into the bowl, add the ground turkey, bread crumbs, and egg. Using your hands, mix until just combined. The result should be just solid enough to hold its form. *You can add more bread crumbs if the mixture is not holding, but too much will make the meatloaf dry out a little. Another option is to substitute half the bread crumbs for parmesan cheese for more flavor*
  6. Form into loaf shape on a baking pan. *Or as many loaves as you want* Add remaining ketchup (or BBQ sauce) on top of loaf and spread evenly. 
  7. Bake at 375 degrees for 45 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees. *Two loaves = 25 minutes, four loaves = 15-20 minutes*
  8. Let cool for 3-5 min, slice, and enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. Yum, this looks pretty good! My hubby has been eating a lot of turkey lately as part of the diet he is on, so I am definitely pinning this to try out on him! Love the zucchini as the side - always been one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a pretty good standby recipe! I made it again and put some shredded carrots and mushrooms into the mix this time, and it turned out fantastic again! Very versatile. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete