Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Low-Budget Date Night!!

I'm not sure if you wonderful people were aware, but I am in graduate school right now. And while I can't complain about receiving a free advanced education (thankyouthankyouthankyou), I do realize being a student puts me and the Hubs on a stricter budget than I'd really like.

This becomes a problem because I really like fine dining, and wine, and going out with my friends and trying new bars and restaurants. And all of these things cost monies. Blarf.

This is not a post about money troubles!!!

This is a post about how Hubby and I managed to go out on a dinner-and-a-movie date night for $8.50!

Place: Rosedale Shopping Center and the AMC Theaters in Roseville.

Event: Free dinner, discount movies, and a mocha.

Hubs and I had gone to a local minor league baseball game with some friends a couple of weeks ago. In the interest of drawing fans, apparently everyone likes to hand out piles of coupons to the attendees before and after the game. We scored a couple of free coupons to Noodles & Company. This, I admit, is not an exciting date night destination, but the phrase "free food" draws any graduate student like moths to a flame.


Nom nom nom. The best part of dinner is getting to talk to my husband about our days.

We destroyed them noodles.

Afterwards it was a quick hop over to the movie theater. Hubs scored the free movie ticket coupons on his own, and he was pretty excited about them.



Soooo I'm not super proud of this, but our movie choice last night was The Expendables 2. I'm not sure how many proper ladies out there have even seen the first one, but we happen to own it, and so we decided to check out the sequel on the big screen. We submitted our coupons, paid a little extra because it was a new release, and then I splurged on a $5 coffee drink because I was freezing. 


The Expendables 2 was fabulous terrible fabulous. There were so many automatic weapons...so much bad acting...so many cheesy action one-liners...so much plastic surgery.


The highlight of the movie was probably seeing Chuck Norris, Sly Stallone, Arnold Schwarzenegger, and Bruce Willis shooting their way through an airport together. My head almost exploded from the sheer action-hero overload.

It was, overall, a thoroughly enjoyable date night. And it was also good to our wallets!

No comments:

Post a Comment