Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Quinoa Magic!

Oh yes, it happened. Quinoa magic time.

I've become a recent fan of the supergrain known as quinoa. Everytime I cook it Hubs yells "KEEN-WAH, BEETCHES!!" I'm not entirely sure what the reference is but it's hilarious every time.

Anyway, tonight was a night I have frequently in our home. The kind of night where I come home, fling open the refrigerator door and realize I have no idea what to make for dinner, because I have only bits and pieces of things leftover before the next grocery run.

Hence, tonight's dinner, which I will call...um...Stir Fried Chicken Sausage and Quinoa. It consisted mostly of me taking all of the leftover produce I found in the fridge and throwing it in a wok with some meats.

Woks are great for cleaning out fridges, I swear.

First came some chicken and turkey sausage (note, the turkey sausage ended up tasting a little weird with the rest of the meal, but it was fine. Next time I will omit this)


After the meats sizzled away for a little I threw in some asparagus, cut into about 2 inch pieces.


Post-asparagus, I just put in every veggie I found in my fridge tonight: 1/2 a red bell pepper, 1/2 an onion, some mushrooms. Plus a little chopped garlic for flavor. Garlic makes everything better.


Sizzle sizzle. Wok wok. In the meantime, I cooked about a cup of quinoa. If you haven't made quinoa before, it's super simple. About 1 and 3/4 cups water to 1 cup quinoa, simmer for 15 minutes, then fluff and you're good to go. Just make sure to rinse the quinoa well before you cook it to avoid that bitter, soapy taste that the saponin gives off.

After the wok contents looked sufficiently cooked through I tossed in some soy sauce and some oyster sauce. I bet you could put in pretty much whatever sauce you wanted your stirfry to taste like here.


I also dislike measuring. But if I had to guess-timate I'd say I put about 1/4 cup soy and 1/2 cup oyster sauces in there. I'm a fan of the "throw it in and taste it" method. You can always add a little more if it doesn't taste right. Maybe next time I'd use something else too!

Then I dumped the quinoa in so it could get to know all its friends. 


Oh Em Gee was it delicious! And I have enough for lunch tomorrow. Take that, school cafeteria! None of your overpriced, undertasty foods for me!!



4 comments:

  1. I was seriously just telling my husband that we should eat more quinoa. I hear so many amazing things about it. honestly, I could eat mac&cheese every night, but this looks amazing. And I love anything asparagus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, right?! I've started subbing in quinoa where I used to use rice or couscous, it goes with everything!

      I've also seen quinoa and cheese recipes, if you are a M&C nut. :)

      Thanks for the follow!

      Delete
  2. This looks incredible!! Totally trying it! Love your blog. So cute!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle! The best part is you can use whatever you have on hand, none of this trooping to the store to buy coriander for a recipe-business. :)

      Thanks for the drop-by!

      Delete