Monday, May 14, 2012

Mothers and families.

This past weekend my Leetle Seester graduated from....MEDICAL SCHOOL.

Oh. Em. Gee. How old am I when she is already graduating from medical school (skunking me in grad school by the way) and a DOCTOR?

*Imayhaveastrokefromshockandaweinagoodway*

And last year Hub's leetle step-sister graduated from grad school with her Master's degree.

I salute the strong, educated, independent women in my family. What a phenomenal thing it is in this day for women to have these opportunies and take advantage of the education that is offered in this country.

Speaking of strong, independent women...it was also Mother's Day last weekend.

I don't know if you all are aware, but many Korean parents are somewhat interested in their childrens' marital status. And by somewhat interested I mean exceedingly preoccupied. As in a proper Korean (mostly women) needs to be married and having children by a certain age for their lives to be considered complete. I knew this already, but rediscovered this fact on our recent trip back to Korea.

With that knowledge, I salute my wonderfully KoKo Momma. She raised both Seester and I to be ambitious, savvy, strong women, and taught us to value our own minds and education, and never have to rely on a man to survive.

This, of course, does not mean that she didn't want me to get married. She's in fact pleased as punch to have a new white-boy son-in-law, and if we are coming for a visit on a weekend spends most of the week planning meals that will ensure Hubs gains approximately 7.2 pounds in a two day span...lounging on her couch...while she runs back and forth from the kitchen forcing treats down his throat in a very Korean-momma manner.

Flowers are cliche, but they will have to do...saranghae umma!


No comments:

Post a Comment