Monday, January 30, 2012

Prettify me!

Welp, it's Monday again, bowling night for the hubs. Last week he bowled a 705 series (those of you who understand bowling will understand how cool that is) and literally fist-pumped his way home. How lovable is that?!

yes, that is my caboodle.
i bought it when i was 10. still have it.
This Monday I hope he tops it!

In the meantime, I'm watching the movie Burlesque with Cher and Christina Aguilera, *guiltypleasuredon'tjudge!*  and doing what I do when I'm a little ho-hum bored and feeling schlumpy.

I have a mini beauty session with myself!

*mygodmycameraisawfulsososorry*

Tonight is manicure night. For those of you who think manicures are a waste of time, yes you are right. I'm a grad student and manis get ruined 3 days after I get them because I'm constantly in the lab.

But every once in a while, it's a treat. And since we are newlyweds and only Hubs is bringing in any significant income...we are kids on a budget people!

Thank you, Target.

So here is my little DIY at home fun mani night.

1. Collect the following:

  • Nail polish of your desired color...and topcoat
  • Nail polish remover
  • File
  • Clippers
  • Small bowl
  • Lotion
  • Toothpicks (I know, right?! I'll explain it all.)
2. Remove any lingering scraps of your old nail polish, then trim and buff your nails to your desired shape.

3. Fill the bowl with some warm water and a little hand soap until it's nice and sudsy, then dunk your hands for a few minutes. This will soften your skin and loosen any *gasp* dirt under your nails.

4. Feels good, right?

5. Clean your nails. 

I know at this point you are supposed to push back your cuticles and trim them away, but I hate that part. Mine always hurt and bleed, so when I'm at home I just skip that step.

6. Now moisturize with lotion. This is also your opportunity to give yourself a nice little hand massage. Mmmmmmm.

7. Before you paint away, give your nails one last rub with some nail polish remover to get rid of any lotion.
8. Layer on two coats of your base coat. Notice on my left hand I used a darker color on my ring finger. Just to fancy it up a little. I will further fancify in a bit.

9. TOOTHPICKS!! At the salon and at the drugstore they use/sell nail art tools so you can draw on your nails, but trust me. Toothpicks work just as well.

10. Dip your toothpick into your polish and start dabbing. It takes a little practice to figure out how much polish to use, but you'll get the hang of it.

I did a flower on my right ring finger...mostly because I am left-handed and designs always end up schluppy on my left hand.

11. I make up for it on my left by adding some sparkles tho! Fancy fancy.

12. When everything's dry, finish up with a little shiny top coat to seal it all in.

12. Last but not least, grab some Q-tips and your nail polish remover and neaten your nails up. If you're like me, there are some stray bits o'pink decorating your hands.

make sure to neaten up.
like I didn't.
Yay! All done!

For a man who knows so very little about beauty regimens that swirl around in the feminine mystique, Hubbles sure does notice when I do up my nails.

Further incentive for me to paint them up all pretty!


All done, just in time for my hubby to come home. Hopefully he notices my nails, after I made this big deal about them. If not, probably he will notice in the next few days (possibly after he reads this post...teehee).

And now, I leave you with, my other little kitty *whose name is actually Madison, although we usually just revert to her more fitting nickname* Piggy, with my old teddy bear Linda. Tootles!

I shall call her Squishy. And she shall be mine and she shall be my Squishy.












No comments:

Post a Comment